Sunday, April 26, 2009

Prepare to Be Surrounded by a Large Flock of Budgies!


I must say I am one suddenly of the biggest fans of the Atlanta Zoo, and certainly the biggest fan who has never been there.


MG sent me this news item, about a planned budgie aviary at the Atlanta Zoo, and I think that the concept is brilliant!


This links two of the listed three favorites things of budgies together in a zoo exhibit: those three favorites being: The Flock, Millet Seed, and the highest Perch. However, I am changing my mind re: the importance of the third item (more on that to follow in future posts).


This aviary will allow people to go in and hold out a seed stick. The budgies will be free to land on people and eat the seed sticks. The budgies will be free to fly around and do what they want generally, as the cage will be completely open.


I really love this idea and think that whoever thought of this really understands budgies, and how to get some of the things that are truly wonderful about budgies included in the zoo exhibit! I just wish I could be a part of the planning, execution, and scientific observation teams doing this great project. I will have to settle for being a mere zoo visitor..which isn't a bad option at all either considering how fun this aviary will be!
(note: above image was downloaded from Parrots in the Land of Oz website, this site and PBS special are highly recommended!)

No comments:

The Happy Couple

The Happy Couple
Sutcliffe and Maryann in early 2007