Friday, August 3, 2007

Fears of a Budgie Breeder




As I embark upon this budgie-breeding-and-blogging journey, I have many fears. Last time, I was rigorous regarding not disturbing the budgies. Also, I kept the nesting set up very simple. My approach last time, was simply this: put in simple nest box, leave plenty of different types of food, including soft oatmeal in the cage, and leave them alone. This worked quite well(as you can see from the adorable picture of Boo). I didn't vacuum the room (it got pretty gross) and only used a broom, and only when the cage was covered, for example. There was no music or talking. It was like budgie church. Now, I will likely be messing a bit with the webcam, and while I intend to keep it to a minimum, it is sure to be more bothersome than my simple cleaning, before. Additionally, the top of the nest box is plexiglass, rather than wood, to allow viewing and photography. That will be covered with a sheet, to prevent light, but, will that be perceived as concerning to the ever vigilant Maryann? Finally, Boo is in an adjacent cage. He is VERY social. Will his eagerness to be part of the scene inhibit, er, intimacy between his parents? He is the equivalent of a teenager now. Hopefully he will reject them to hang out with the "cool kids" (ie me and J) instead.

No comments:

The Happy Couple

The Happy Couple
Sutcliffe and Maryann in early 2007